What’s Duty Free
Shopping Duty Free means that no taxes have been added to the cost of the merchandise. Merchandise purchased from duty free stores, is free of duties and taxes in the country in which the store is located. However, some countries impose duties on goods brought into the country when the value or quantity of such goods exceeds the allowed limit of tax free. All tax-free merchandise purchased from a duty free store must be exported from the country of purchase. These items are not meant to be used, worn, or consumed in the country of purchase.
Mexico, like most countries allow tourists, travelers and returning residents an allowance for duty free shopping that can be brought into the country free of taxes and duties. Passengers over 18 years can bring a maximum of 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of snuff; up to three liters of alcoholic beverages and six liters of wine.
Products purchased in American duty free shops will be subject to U.S. duties if products are brought back into the United States.
Duty-free shops are often found in international airports, sea ports, train stations, passenger ships and several border crossings points for car travelers and pedestrians leaving the country.
If you would like to learn more information about regulations, please visit:
To be eligible to shop duty free:
- Must be leaving the United States and crossing into Mexico
- Must take the items with you into Mexico
- Customers will receive merchandise at time of purchase and escorted by BDF staff to the Mexican border
- Purchased items are not meant to be used, worn, or consumed in the country of purchase
- All tax-free merchandise purchased from a duty free store must be exported from the country of purchase.
- Must be present to make purchase as required by US customs
Why shop duty free?
Shopping tax-free means significant savings because the duty free retailer is able to offer merchandise at lower prices. Saving up to 60% on liquor, fragrances, tobacco and accessories. Compared to US and Mexico domestic retail prices
There are allowances for merchandise crossed into Mexico. For more information, click on the links below.